Moving on with our translations for the 50-question series of interview, this time the interview to be translated comes from Nanri Yuuka!
She is by no means a new and amateur seiyuu, having made her seiyuu debut in 2001 with Bubbles from the Japanese dub of Powerpuff Girls. Since then, she’s also appeared in anime such as Blood Lad (as Liz T. Blood), Hourou Musuko (as Chiba Saori) and Sakamichi no Apollon (as Mukae Ritsuko).
Perhaps she’s more well-known for her singing roles, as the vocalist for FictionJunction YUUKA. She’s also released singles as a solo artist.
With that, let’s have a look at the interview~
1. Please tell us the reason you became a seiyuu.
I was invited for an audition for Powerpuff Girls.
2. What was your debut anime?
It was Powerpuff Girls, as Bubbles.
3. Of all the characters that you have voiced, is there a character who has left a strong impression on you?
That would be Sawatari Sayuri, from The Place Promised in Our Early Days (Kumo no Mukou, Yakusoku no Basho).
4. Among all the characters that you have voiced, please tell us about the similarities that you share with them.
Liz T. Blood, a character I am currently voicing in Blood Lad, is similar to me in the sense that she is actually a crybaby despite her tough looks.
5. Please tell us a scene which left behind a strong impression while in the middle of recording.
In episode 11 of Sakamichi no Apollon, the scene in which Kaoru, Sentarou and Ritsuko lay down after their practice for the cultural festival felt really, really blissful.
6. Is there any seiyuu which has influenced you a lot?
For female seiyuu, that would have to be Ohara Sayaka and Honda Takako. Whether while watching the anime they were in, or doing a recording with them in person, I can feel that their voice acting is truly marvelous.
7. Is there a seiyuu who you look up to as a rival or target?
I am always touched whenever I look at people who can project their emotions straight into their voices. As such, there are many people whom I look up to as targets (laughs).
8. What do you think you would have been if you had not become a seiyuu?
I would have been a florist or a confectioner.
9. What has been the toughest part about becoming a seiyuu?
When the voice degrades. There are times when it interferes with voice acting, after all.
10.On the other hand, what has been the most satisfying part about being a seiyuu?
Recording together with everyone in the studio, and meeting fans of the works.
11. As the vocalist of FictionJunction and a solo artist yourself, please tell us about an incident which was particularly memorable.
I was given the opportunity to finally go all out as FictionJunction YUUKA during a live in May. The stage, sound and audience created a really exciting atmosphere.
12. Do you like to sing?
Yes, I like it a lot! In the days as a student I would sing casually in the middle of classes, and it made my teachers angry (laughs).
13. In the radio that you host, were there any submissions that left an impression on you?
Nothing really comes to mind as of now but, I always am excited and look forward to receiving mail from listeners and hearing about the events in their daily lives.
14. During an act, is there anything you take particular note about?
I am not very skillful in voice acting, so I make it a point to sense various things and do voice acting conscientiously.
15. Is there a certain type of character that you are better at voicing?
Characters with a more relaxed and open disposition.
16. Please tell us about your goals and dreams as a seiyuu.
I want to be able to be more relaxed during recording and deliver my lines with more emotion.
17. What advice would you give to someone who’s aiming to be a voice actor?
Please do have fun while voice acting!
18. Besides the shows you appear in, are there any other anime you frequently watch?
That would be “Mama wa Shougaku Yonensei”, an anime I watched as an elementary school kid.
19. With reference to the question above, are there any roles you adore or want to voice?
The main character, Natsumi-chan.
20. As a viewer, what kind of anime would you like?
Anime with dreams and goals.
21. How were you like as a kid?
I was very carefree, even more so than many others, and also a kid who was always dreaming.
22. Please tell us about your favorite book (including manga).
That would be Mishima Yukio’s Spring Snow (Haru no Yuki).
23. Please tell us about your favorite game.
It is Kirby’s Dream Land (Hoshi no Kirby) for the Game Boy! It was the first game I got hooked onto.
24. Please tell us about your favorite music (album, musicians, etc).
25. Please tell us about your favorite movie.
It’s The Notebook. I have watched it recently and I like it very much.
26. Please tell us your personal motto.
“no rain, no rainbow”.
27. Please tell us about your experiences in sports thus far.
I’ve done ballet and dance. I am quite bad at actual sports.
28. Please tell us about the songs you usually sing at karaoke.
Matsuda Seiko’s songs.
29. Please tell us about the food you like.
Tomatoes and peaches.
30. Please tell us about the food you dislike.
Onions, spring onions and exquisite food.
31. Please tell us about the shops you frequent.
32. Do you have any favorite snacks?
There are too many of them, I cannot choose!
33. Do you drink alcohol? If so, what are your favorite varieties?
Recently I have taken a liking to sangria and mojito.
34. What did you do on your latest day off?
That’s today (laughs)! I went to see one of my favorite actors perform.
35. If you had a weeklong break, what would you do?
I would go to Hawaii!!!
36. Do you have a hobby you’ve been hooked on to lately?
37. Please tell us about the qualifications that you possess.
I am a certified secretary and medical clerk.
38. What are the things you would like to challenge yourself to do over the next 10 years?
I want to tour Europe! I want to sing in an orchestra!
39. What type of men do you like?
People who pursue things endlessly.
40. Which part of the opposite gender’s body catches your eye the most?
Their voices and hands.
41. Out of the things you have bought recently, please tell us the most expensive one.
42. What do you want the most right now?
Furniture as well (laughs).
43. If you were stuck on a deserted island and could only bring one item, what would you bring along?
That’s a tough question, but I’ll go with a television!
44. If you could spend 1 million yen freely, how would you spend it?
I would stay in hotel for about a week.
45. Do you normally use Twitter? How often do you use it?
I have yet to use it.
46. Please tell us about the websites you definitely take a look at everyday.
Blogs on home design.
47. Please say something for your fans.
My second album is in the works. Please do give it a listen if you can! Also, please enjoy Blood Lad!
48. (A question from Nanjo Yoshino) As you are singing and voice acting, when are the times you feel “Ah, I feel so blessed now”??
When I see the smiles on the audience’s faces as I sing on stage☆ As for voice acting, that would be when I produce an excellent work with everyone☆
49. Please tell us about the other seiyuu that you are close to.
Kikuchi Mika, Koshimizu Ami, MAKO, Saitou Chiwa…… and then Nanjo Yoshino☆
50. Please leave a question behind for the next seiyuu guest.
Are there times during recording where you feel nervous? If there are, how do you rectify the situation?
And that’s the end of the (translated) interview! The interview this time was rather simple to translate, since the answers were fairly short.
As usual, please let me know if there’re any errors, there might be small grammatical errors here and there~ The original source can be found here.
We’ll be working on #5, MAO next! Hopefully it can be done in one or two weeks’ time. Until then~